Tuesday, August 23, 2005

CRASH

This morning on the way to work I witnessed a terrible car accident. It happened barely 20 feet from my face (and I guess the rest of my body, too.). I was sitting at a red light that had just turned green when a brand new Lexus Soccer-Mom SUV came barreling through the left turn lane. I'm assuming that either she thought she was going to get a protected arrow, or just simply figured that she could turn faster than the oncoming traffic could start moving from a dead stop. What she didn't see was the bright red Jeep Wrangler that was approaching the intersection from the outside lane at about 40 miles an hour.

BAM.

They always say wrecks happen so fast that you really can't see what happened. This wasn't the case for me. I watched that Jeep plow directly into that car as if it were in slow-motion. The impact was an incredible site. The Jeep, being about as aerodynamic as a brick, rammed the Lexus' rear quarter section of the passenger side. The impact sent the Lexus into a near 360 degree spin, tail first. It bounced off the curb, pieces of it's door and side-molding flying high in the air, and came to a rest in the middle of the intersection. For a second, all four tires were off the ground. The Jeep went straight up in the air and landed facing oncoming traffic--two tires on the road, two tires on the median.

Since it was rush-hour and there was a police-officer about 10 cars back in the intersection, I didn't stop or call 911. But I certainly tightened my seatbelt and slowed down a bit. I hope no one was hurt. Ouch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home