Monday, August 08, 2005

Sharon, Sharon, Sharon

I have an arch-nemesis at work. Her name is Sharon. Sharon is a maniacal, egotistical, self-promoting bitch. I don't like her. Plus, she's old and fat and lives in Kentucky. Today, when I came into the office, I was greeted by an e-mail from Sharon that left me (and the rest of my colleagues) speechless. Did I mention that she copied just about the entire company??

Over the past few weeks, I've been having one of my Product Managers (only with the company for about 3 months) do an inventory of our marketing and sales materials. We had literally hundreds of outdated documents with varying information, formats, etc. It was a huge mess. We weren't concerned all that much with content at the first stage of the game--just getting key documents in a central location, with a central owner and central access was a major step forward. So late Friday, Jeff, the Product Manager, sends an e-mail announcing the site on our sharepoint portal. This is what I read when I sat down this morning:

"Oh my stars, I could find nothing on this site that relates to credentialing that was without critical errors. We do not do standard pricing anymore. Each client/product is customized to PSV, I've just updated Nathan Harris on the process; the descriptions on alliances are inaccurate we no longer have a behavioral alliance and we must require CAQH participation to join/belong to an alliance. The description of Luci should be changed to Networks Pro. Please have operations or PSV implementation review these materials before they are posted. In the meantime, please remove these from the site until they are corrected."
OK, so let's break this down:

1. Who the HELL says "Oh my stars?"


2. This woman is a seasoned executive. Has she not learned "praise in public, criticize in private?" The correct thing to do would have been to thank Jeff for his hard work, and ask for a quick telephone chat to go over a few suggestions for improvement. Why is that so friggin hard to do?

3. Everything she said is of course, correct, but she apparently does not comprehend the value of historical documents for reference purposes. Imagine if we had to update every book in the public library when something becomes outdated! It took Jeff almost 6 weeks to sort through all of the crap we had before. We'll get to reviewing content once everyone learns the URL to the portal. This should take Sales about 8 months.

Ultimately, I didn't respond to her for fear I would say something that might get me fired. Instead, I opted for the high road, letting her inappropriate message speak for itself. Everyone who will use the portal knows it is a work in progress, and 1,000 times better than what we had before. Sometimes I wonder why I put up with this kind of crap. Oh wait, they pay me a lot of money. Thank God. Otherwise, I'd be forced to kick her square in the cooter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home