Sunday, August 07, 2005

Weekend Pride

This weekend I decided to suck it up and go out to our annual "block party." For those not in the know, a block party consists of sectioning off several square city blocks (generally near bars) where people can roam the streets in the open air, buy overpriced, over-liquored drinks and listen to the local DJs spin dance music. Generally the block party is held during Pride weekend (early June), but this year's event was rained out and rescheduled for this Friday evening. I hadn't been out in a while, so I figured I give it a whirl. I sported a new black shirt from Banana, one size too small, of course.

After a few calls, friends David, Doug, Lucas, Jeremey, Phil, Corey and Bill came over to the house for a few cocktails before heading out. We spent most of the time on the patio smoking cigarettes and pounding cocktails. We did get to enjoy my new Bose outdoor surround speakers--they sound great! I wonder what the neighbors think of them.

The actual event was fairly tame. I saw lots of familiar faces, several new cuties and a few unsavory characters worthy of the cold-shoulder. The larger group ultimately went their separate ways and I spent most of the late evening rounding everyone up. Two individuals, who will remain nameless, disappeared without telling a soul where they went, and for this have been placed on the shit list until further notice. Once everyone was safely home (and passed out), I fell asleep wondering if I actually derived any Gay Pride from attending the event. I decided that the thing I was most proud of was my little black shirt and getting everyone home in one piece. And I'll take a little pride anywhere I can get it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home