Monday, October 17, 2005

Pumpkin Patch

Last weekend, Doug, Lucas and I went to a little town called "Weston," about 45 minutes North of Kansas City. Its claim to fame at this time of the year is its massive pumpkin patches and apple orchards. It also has a small little Main Street with lots of antique shops, quilting stores and an old-fashioned ice cream shop. You should consider a trip here if you're bored. Extremely bored.

When we got to the farm, the parking lot was full. I liked this because I got to go off-roading drive in the grass. The farm had a variety of distractions for the kids, including a hay-ride to the pumpkin picking patch. There were chickens and ducks and turkeys and even a few Shetland Ponies. In spite of our best effort to stay enthusiastic, including my string of hilarious and witty jokes about huge cocks roosters, we conceded that the farm had failed to hold our attention.


So we headed “downtown” to Main Street. We went through a couple of stores, but the stench of cinnamon candles and potpourri was almost too much for us to bear. One store was so small and packed with crap that Doug almost had a panic attack trying to get away from the retirement home field-trippers shopping for porcelain dolls. That was pretty funny to see.

Then we had an ice cream craving. The sign at the entrance of the Ice Cream Shop told us to “Close Door Due to Flies and Bees.” I wasn't sure why that just didn't go without saying.
A 10-year old kid was working as the ice cream scooper behind the counter. Lucas and I were appalled to watch him cough into his hands, then plunge them into the water to clean off the scooper. That same cough-infected scooper then dripped into the ice cream bucket and got blended right into our icy treats. Thank god my addiction to high fat, high-sugar foods outweigh my germ phobias. I think Lucas would’ve rather been stung by bees.

Here are some pics that I took of our day. Enjoy!

2 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Michael said...

You asked for it. "That's the biggest cock I've ever seen!"

BTW, your link is bad. I had to WORK to find pictures. (tsk, tsk)

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Dave said...

The link is fixed. Sorry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home