Tuesday, November 29, 2005

To Grandmother's House We Go

My grandmother passed away Christmas eve last year and left our family her beautiful lakefront home in Marble Falls, TX. I love that place. I have so many fond memories from my childhood. Like fishing off the pier late at night with my whole family catching fish and fish after fish. And riding our two 3-seater jet skis with my sister's kids. Or quiet time by the lake on a calm summer morning. And skipping rocks. And watching the hot neighbor boy ski barefoot behind his boat. And overcoming my fear of swimming without seeing the bottom. And catching perch with just a string, a worm and a hook. And learning about the stars from my brother. And being the only one that could swim across the lake without stopping. And skinny dipping. And taking the boat out for the first time without my Dad. And so many more memories to even count.

Originally, the plan was for my parents to completely remodel the house and move in after my grandmother passed. That's what she wanted. But my father's illness (and probably some subconscious guilt--it was his mother) has caused my Dad to decide to sell it "as is." He just isn't up for the effort. I learned about this decision over Thanksgiving. Naturally, I had a fit.

So on Wednesday of last week my Mom and I went over to the house to see if I wanted any of the furniture or pictures or rugs, etc. (I didn't), and I took the opportunity to begin my crusade for keeping the house in the family. It went something like this:

Me: "Let's go down to the lake real quick. I'd like to get some pictures."

Mom: "Sure, if I can make it all the way down there."

Me: "Come on grandma, you can do it."

[We walk down the hill.]

Me: [pensive] "Mom, I don't want Dad to sell this place. I'd really like to keep it in the family, even if I have to buy it myself."

Mom: "I would, too, but you know your father when he makes up his mind. And it's not about the money, you pretty much already own it. He just doesn't want to fool with it."

Me: "Well if I pretty much already own it, then I should have a say. All the grandkids want to fool with it. It's special to us."

Mom: "It does hold a lot of memories for us. And if we fixed it up, everyone would have a place to come visit."

[Here I cite a list much like the opening paragraph, but much longer and sappier. And in a tone of voice that conjures a pouty lower lip.]

Mom: "You're right, we should try to talk him out of it. I'll see what I can do."

Me: "I recommend using guilt."

Mom: "Yes, I agree. Gimme a few days after you leave."

So I'm currently executing my evil plan to save grandma's house by proxy through my Mom. If I have to, I'll step in with more sappiness and a good old-fashioned pity party. I'll even cry on command if I have to. Or throw myself in front of any Realtor that goes near it. Or let a skunk loose in it. Or write a newspaper article about the ghosts that live there. I could get really inventive if I have to...

Until then, enjoy a short video of the lake and the pier. PLEASE forgive my awful Texas accent. It happens when I go down there. I can keep the pearls and Prada handbags inside, but the accent just goes flying. :)

2 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Have you learned nothing from Scooby Doo? You dress up like a monster and scare everyone away. You'll get away with it too, as long as you don't run into some meddling kids...

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger David said...

What a cute accent! Does it come out more under certain circumstances? I dated a guy once whose accent came across much stronger in the morning when he was still sleepy. *sigh* It was adorable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home