Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Rental Cars

I hate rental car companies. They are the absolute scum of the earth. They are worse than car salesmen, realtors and Jehovah's Witnesses combined. I find their business practices to be unethical, inconsiderate and downright intimidating. Now I realize that someone with a blog named PlaysWellWithOthers probably shouldn't do a lot of ranting, but in this case, I think it's warranted. Here are a few of the things I don't like:

The insurance. How am I supposed to know what my policy covers vs. what their policy covers? Insurance laws--especially for rentals--vary from state to state. When they ask me if I want it, they almost always say, "Are you SURE you're covered?" I almost never am. Sure that is. I think. Maybe. Most of the time I see/hear experts that say the car rental policy is unnecessary, so why do I have to encounter such confusion (aka extortion) at the reservation counter? Here's a customer-focused tip: Factor in your insurance premiums--at cost plus reasonable margin--into your prices and spread the cost over everyone and quit bothering me with this.

The gas. This is an unbelievable inconvenience, even with their vast array of options. First, I have the option of paying upfront for a full tank of gas at regular prices, even though there's a very good likelihood I'll get screwed by doing so. I also can fill the tank myself at a gas station within two miles of the airport, even though I have no friggin' idea where these gas stations are, and even if I were inclined, I'd have to drive around forfivee miles just to find them. [Oh, and don't forget your receipt, they need documentation to make sure they're not getting ripped off. God forbid!] Last, I can always just turn in the car with however much gas is in the tank; however, I'll pay $6.43/gallon (wait--didn't they just offer to sell it to me for market price?). Another customer-focused tip: Start a marketing program like "Turn in your car with however much gas you have left. We'll fill it up at market prices!" I mean, you don't charge me extra to wash it, do you? Or put air in the tires? Or oil?

The contract. EIGHT. That is the number of times I had to sign the rental contract. Seven initials, one full signature. There is absolutely no need for this (but maybe I should have an attorney validate this point). From the little I know about contracts, ONE signature will do. I think this is nothing but pure intimidation. Have there been studies to prove that people that sign eight times are much better drivers than those that sign once? Ridiculous. I mean, I could borrow the full amount of the car online WITHOUT a signature. How much does a Dodge Stratus go for these days anyway, like $1,000? Geez.

The walk around. This is when you are handed a card and a barely sharpened pencil and told to document every scratch, dent and ding on the vehicle. First, why the hell can't THEY do this? Can't they have an itemized list ready for me to sign? Why do I have to take my valuable vacation time to look over their cars? Aren't they going to do it anyway when I return it? And how many times have I had to do this in the dark? This is more blatant intimidation under the guise of "getting me" if I scratch their car. Hey--guess what: scratches happen. Sometimes they’re not even my fault. Factor your "scratch risk factor" into your prices and quit making me walk around in the freezing cold with a flashlight for something that no one looks at when I turn it in anyway.

Oh and another thing: I'm getting really tired of walking to row number 43 to get my "Gold Club" rental car. Think of it like this: if EVERYONE is Gold, NO ONE is Gold. I want my car on the front row three steps from the door. The heater better be on, the trunk better be open and there better not be ONE fucking scratch on it! I mean, after all, I signed my LIFE away for this stinky under-powered American piece of crap.


There. Now I feel better.

2 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger KipEsquire said...

Not my area of expertise, but I wonder whether all those signature requirements are the result of some consumer-protection "Truth in Car Rental" law rather than having been insisted upon by uptight corporate lawyers.

Just a libertarian hunch.

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. The insurance that you have with most credit cards should work on all cars (exception: luxury cars, 8 or more passenger minivans, full size SUV), everywhere in US and it covers the car u rented. Ur personal car insurance covers against any liability claims just like it would in the event of you causing an accident with your personal car.
Gray area involves charges for lost profits of Rental Car Company while their car in the shop getting fixed. I feel it's worth taking the risk, rather then paying steep insurance premiums, but that's really all you need insurance for.

2. How about when they screw up and run out of cars??? What if i requested a midsize and all they have is full-size, minivans and SUVs??? What if i don't want to get upgraded to an SUV b/c i'm in Hawaii and i don't want to drive Ft. Knox on wheels on twisty mountain roads? Do you think they have a legal obligation to provide you with a midsize car, even if it involves "borrowing" (please all of those bastards are in kahootz with each other) from their competitiors?

3. How about making you wait at the checkout? I personally think that's how rental car company employees derive low grade satisfaction out of life. I mean don't you think it's the most inhumane thing in the world ... to make people wait with all their bags and suitcases while some fat 300lb bitch would fall into the driver side door to check the mileage (why they even bother, most rentals include unlimited mileage), slowly walk around the car (while you are standing there trembling like a leaf worried that she might notice that scratch on passenger side back door that you forgot to include on the check out thingy when you rented a car) and ask you if everything was all right with a car. What if it wasn't? Is she personally gonna fix the piece of poop Neon whose trunk latch came loose on the parking lot in Montreal and I had to drive through the rest of Canada with a trunk lid tied to the floor with IKEA bag.

4. And the icing on the cake is the structure of the rental rates ... can you name any other business that comes up with such creative way of charging its customers for business related expenses? For example imagine going to Plaza III and finding steaks starting out at only $15.99 (compact size) however with cooking oil charge, and use of restaurant facility charge + property tax recovery charge it comes up to $40 ... wouldn't you be pissed off? But with rental car companies it's all good and just standard business practice.

I must confess in my days of parting with my friends back in college and driving the s..t out of rental cars and covering up scratches with spray paint I've caused my share of headaches for Hertz, National and Avis. However those days are nothing but a distant past and I drive rental cars almost as responsibly as I would drive my own car. So why must i endure their weak attempts to rip me off every time I rent a car? I may be bitter and hateful, but I agree with Dave that rental car companies have no mercy and need to revise their evil business practices.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home