Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Childhood Memories #1

A new recurring post topic:

--Age 7ish. I got two hampsters for my birthday and wanted to take them to my grandparents house for summer break. I put them in a shoebox on the back shelf of the car. When we got there I was so excited to see my grandparents I accidentally left them in the car. As it turns out, hampsters don't survive long in the Texas sun.

--Age 8-10ish. My Mom's mom used to sleep in my bedroom when she visited. I had twin beds and it was the easiest on everyone for her to stay in my room. I can remember crying myself to sleep at the awful sounds of her snoring. To this day, I cannot sleep with a snorer. I even wake Casey up when he snores because I can't take it.

--Age 12. I had an obsession with being tan. I bought this bright yellow heat-lamp device that was supposed to be like an in-home mini-tanning bed for your face. I have no idea how I convinced my Mom to get this for me, other than maybe she pitied the fact that I was so pale you could see my internal organs. I'm sure I'll be paying for that one day.

--Age 14-15. My Mom used to carpool into Houston with my friend Brad's Mom. We were both on the swim team, so they met at my school early and she left her car in the school parking lot for the day. Somehow I talked her into letting me keep the keys and as a freshman and sophomore I drove her car to lunch nearly every day (with no license). To my knowledge, she never found out.

--Age 8. I remember playing "Stuart Little" with my neighborhood friends. We'd pretend we were tiny mice on bicycles and that everything else around us was extra large. My next door neighbor's driveway was an elevator, and we threw rocks at a tree trying to hit the button for the right floor.

--Age 4. My neighbor, April, was pulling me around the driveway in my new red wagon. She cut the corner too fast and I fell chin-first into the concrete. Those were my first stitches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home