Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Random Thoughts #8

--I was on vacation from Dec. 22 until today. It was a long time to be out, but I won't lie and say that I'm happy to be back to work. Sadly, after checking e-mails for about three hours this morning, I'm right back to where I was when I left. The only difference is that I'm now two weeks behind.

--I thoroughly enjoyed having guests over this weekend (three people, two extra dogs), but it really took it out of me. I've forgotten how much work it is to get the house ready for visitors, plan/throw a party, keep it in working order while they're there, and clean it up after they're gone. I'm pooped. I'm looking forward to several nights of quiet time and a regular night sleep.

--This morning I found muddy puppy prints on the bench seat in my shower. Though they washed right off, I cringed at all the other things I've yet to discover having had a houseful of people and pets over the weekend.

--This weekend I got an e-mail from my friend Ryan who currently lives in NYC to let me know he was considering a post-doctoral program here in Kansas City, among others. In my reply, I was objectively optimistic about him coming to KC, but inside, I was wetting my pants. With his permission, I've already started the wheels turning on two prime networking opportunities with friends/colleagues here (one a CEO of a local hospital) to grease the skids for him.

--I got an e-mail from my Mom this morning about how my Dad started to tear up as he was taking down the Christmas tree this weekend. He told her that he enjoyed seeing all of us so much this year and figured that this was the last Christmas tree he'd ever take down. Ouch. That hit home a little too hard for me. I had to get up and walk around for a few minutes so I didn't start bawling like a baby.

--Brokeback Mountain has finally come to Kansas City. I'm appalled that it took so long; however, I understand the economics of not opening such a movie at the same time as the other Christmas blockbusters. While I appreciate that in some places, the sight of Heath Ledger fucking Jake Gyllenhaal is a substantial draw over an extra-large gorilla with homosapien tendencies, but Kansas City ain't one of 'em.

--I think soon I'm going to be making some changes to my "Worthy of Attention" section. One site in particular has taken a turn that I'm not really liking. And that's disappointing, because I'm always on the hunt for blogs that I really, really like to read. That's proving to be harder and harder for me, though. Maybe I'm becoming even more jaded.

--And Blogger did a little fix on their Spell Checker where now you can see the sentence where your error occurs. That's a nice addition. Thanks, guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home