Tuesday, January 17, 2006

You can take the parents out of Marble Falls...

Today is my mother's birthday. She's 66 67 68 umm, another year older. To celebrate, she and my Dad (oxygen tank in tow) are heading to Corpus Christi, TX to experience some warmer temperatures and to get away from all the doctors appointments and treatments, etc. They've been wanting to do this for a LONG time, and I'm excited for them to go. Well, was excited.

Since my brother and I are a bit more traveled, they sought our advice on where they should stay. We had little to offer in the way of specific hotels/B&Bs/resorts, but both said the exact same thing: "Stay in a nice place--DON'T BE CHEAP." I'm sure we even said it twice. See, because my parents don't travel much, they feel like they're wasting money if they spend more than $100/night on a hotel room. Throughout my childhood, I think we only stayed in 2-3 hotels, and let me tell you, they were complete shit holes.

What makes matters worse, is that my parents have PLENTY of money to afford a nice room. I venture to say that the finest hotel room in Corpus Christi wouldn't even be a rounding error in the grand scheme of things. But Ohhhh No. They're "frugal." They take pride in simple (i.e., rat-infested) accommodations. The word resort or hotel isn't even in their vocabulary--it's a "motel." Ugh, I can't win.

So under the guise of "saving our inheritance," they finally picked a place upon a recommendation from a relative. And since I have absolutely no control whatsoever over these two, I'm relying on my family's tried and true coping mechanism: I'm going to make fun of them.

Please... enjoy GODS Railroad.

3 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Please just tell me none of you have ever been HERE:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/MOCARprecious.html

A co-worker desperately wanted to have her wedding there, but alas, couldn't.


I hated that bitch.

(I was going to say "cunt" but I didn't think I knew you well enough yet to use such language on your blog.)

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Wayne Fan said...

Yes, David, but they have "a real breakfast with ready-to-heat donuts" - how can you beat that?

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger David said...

Don't forget Carol's touch in the decorating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home