Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Family Stone(wall)

My sister and I presented my Mom and Dad with two options this morning at breakfast. Get 100%, round the clock care, including no more driving, or one of us (me) is moving in to take care of them. As you might imagine, that didn't go over so well. What transpired was without a doubt the worst argument this family has ever seen. And guess what? It's all my fault.

My father has locked himself in the bedroom. Stewing, no doubt, at his disrespectful son that doesn't give a shit about him. You know, the one that is willing to give up his job, his life, his dog, his house--everything--just for the purpose of making his father miserable. He threatened to kill himself. He told me I was causing the stress that will ultimately kill him. And that if I loved him, I'd just let them be.

And, since apples don't fall far from the tree, I've shut myself in the office at the other end of the house. Instead of being mad, though, I'm just feeling helpless. Crying my eyes out seems to help, but not much. This sucks so much. Oh my god. SUCKS.

My sister just came in and we hugged for a few minutes. That helped. I think I'm going to go do a power walk around the neighborhood. Maybe if I'm lucky, a deranged elderly man will be rushing his wife to the emergency room and will run me over.

1 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Blogger KipEsquire said...

Or, more likely, it will be a hybrid car that you won't be able to hear coming.

(I hope that made you chuckle a bit?)

Be strong and file it all under "tough love."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home