Monday, February 27, 2006

Good Cop, Bad Cop, Part 1 of 2

[Note: I have invited my good friend and former co-worker Mike to be my featured guest blogger for today. Naturally, I asked him to speak about me only in the best possible light. But, he never listens… Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Mike.]

*tap tap* Is this thing on?

Today I want to post a little about a side of Dave that he never talks about in his blog. I've known Dave for quite a while and have worked both for and with him in various aspects of our jobs. This has given me a lot of insight into his personality--even the dark side. At the office, we affectionately call him "Mean Dave." Mean Dave is Dave's alter ego and is quite the intimidating creature. At nearly 6'3" with a booming voice and a razor-sharp tongue, he’s infamous around the office (and now, around town). Here's a recent real story…


Dave mentioned in one of his posts that one of the things he can do is negotiate. Having worked with Dave quite a bit, I can tell you that this is true statement. And when I say negotiate, I mean he almost always gets his way. Last week, over lunch, I invited him along to "look" at a new Nissan Murano with me. Luckily, he brought Mean Dave along with him... and boy, was it fun. We started with the usual car salesman dance:


Salesperson (Leon): So, if we can get you a good deal on your trade would you be interested in buying the Murano?

Mike: Only if the numbers are right. And we should get moving, we're on a super-tight schedule.
Leon: Right, I'll go see how things are going with your trade.

[Leon leaves. Many minutes pass. Leon returns].


Leon: Mike, would you mind signing this paper, just to let us know you're interested?

Dave: We said we're interested didn't we? You're gonna have to take us for our word. He's not signing a blank piece of paper.

[Mike signs the paper. Dave officially comes unglued. Leon takes the paper back to his boss.]


Dave: Why, on God's green earth, are you signing a blank piece of paper?

Mike: Leave me alone. We're in a hurry. I just wanted to move the process along.

[Leon returns. More back and forth. Finally, the sales manager, Dustin, arrives.]


Dustin: Nice to meet you, I'm the sales manager.

Mike: Nice to meet you, I'm Mike and this is my grumpy sidekick, Dave. [Dave stares].
Dustin: Here's what we came up with: Here's your trade, here's the MSRP, here's your purchase price and here's your monthly payment. [Written on the blank paper I previously signed].

[The deal is a good one. A very good one. I'm shocked. So is Dave.]

Mike: That payment includes everything, right?

Dustin: Yes. All taxes, title fees and all other charges.
Mike: So I can walk out of here in 10 minutes with the Murano and that will be my monthly payment? No out of pocket expense.
Dustin: Yup.
Mike: Sales tax is included in that number, right?
Dustin: Yes.
Mike: Ok, you've got a deal.
Dustin: Let me get the final paperwork over to Finance and we'll get you outta here.

[I shake hands with Dustin, followed by a hand shake with Leon].

Dave and I wait for the finance guy….and wait….and wait….and wait. One thing that Dave didn’t have to teach me was patience – because he doesn’t have any either. Finally we get up to make an unannounced appearance in his office when Dustin comes over.

Mike: So you guys about ready to get me outta here?

Dustin: [With a sad, apologetic look. Both hands in his pockets]. Guys, I’m not sure what happened during our calculations, but I screwed up.
Dave: Hmmm. [Sarcasm, with a slight tone of "do you feel lucky, punk?"]
Dustin: We miscalculated your payment. It should actually be _____ ($74 more per month).
Dave: Oh no, no, no. The negotiations are over, Dustin. You made an offer, he accepted and you shook hands. I witnessed it. Whatcha have there is a done deal that we expect you to honor.

[
Though he won't admit it, Dave likes to argue, and this was an invitation for a serious knock-down, drag-out. I think I actually saw him drool.]

Mike: [Trying to keep things nice]. Now, how did you get to the new figure?

Dave: Wait, wait, wait. That doesn't matter, Mike. You'll be taking your car for the negotiated and contracted price, no less. [At this point, Dave is no longer using his inside voice--not that he ever has much of one of those anyway].
Dustin: I'm sorry, man, we screwed up. We just can't sell it for that price.
Dave: I'd argue, Dustin, that you already did. You shook HANDS. It's written on the PAPER. And SIGNED. And WITNESSED.
Dustin: [Dustin tries the retreat tactic and turns to me. For Dave, this is a lot like a lion chasing a rabbit.] Look, I don't know how this happened, but we just can't do this.

For the next few minutes Dustin proceeds to adjust numbers and figures on his 1984 desktop computer with a DOS-based finance application. I am genuinely trying to get the numbers to work, because I want this car. Dave on the other hand, is standing outside the glass office pacing and spewing not-so-gentle reminders of our deal with Dustin. I'm pretty sure an F-bomb or two was dropped. Poor Dustin was trying really hard to ignore him, which of course was just making it worse.

To be continued.

2 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger KipEsquire said...

Without having seen the documents, the bar exam answeer would be that unilateral mistake does not excuse an otherwise valid contract.

Score one for Mean Dave.

Best defense for Dustin would be to argue lack of express or appparent authority (i.e., that nothing's "final" until it's approved by the necessary people).

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Mike said...

And the "rental" charge for 'Mean Dave' next time I need to buy a car would be....?

Funny, when TheHusband and I have been to buy a car, I am usually the "mean" one, until it's time to sit down and talk finances. Then, I am jelly. Oh, and TheHusband is NO help at that point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home