Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Good Cop, Bad Cop, Part 2 of 2

After not getting things worked out with Finance, Dave and I head over to Wendy's to take a breather. Dustin thinks the deal is over. It wasn't. While we eat, Dave suggests calling the General Manager. I call, and in a matter of 15 minutes, we're sitting in his office. Bob, the manager, appears to be a friendly guy, but as soon as he opens his mouth and starts to talk shop, you can tell he's nothing but a war-hardened car guy. A serious prick.

Mike: Bob, I'm having a problem and hoping you can fix it for me. We were just over with Leon and Dustin and got quoted some numbers, agreed on them, shook hands, and now we're being told you can't make it happen.

[Bob pages Dustin to "please come to my office immediately." Dustin arrives in seconds.]

Bob: So Dustin, did this figure come from Finance?

Dustin: Uh, no.
Bob: Why are you quoting payments instead of finance?
Dustin: I was trying to help the customer. He was on a short schedule and finance was out to lunch. I must have miscalculated the trade-in or the taxes.

[Bob's face turns red. You can tell he's completely pissed at the predicament Dustin has gotten him in.]

Bob: Mike, I'm sorry, but I just can't sell you this car for this price.

[Silence. Dave leans forward. The gloves are off. I sit back to watch].

Dave: Bob, with all due respect, I'd like to press back on that a bit. Because there was an offer and acceptance, a signed document with specific terms on it, and a HANDSHAKE, I'm inclined to suggest you have to. Surely someone in your position knows the elements of a binding agreement.
Bob: Hey Dave, Mike can always walk away from this deal. [I'm thinking: "Hello, I'm in the ROOM here! But I'm enjoying the fireworks. Tension is HIGH].

Dave: Well, we appreciate your flexibility, Bob, but YOU can’t. That's why contracts exist—to bind BOTH parties, even when it's inconvenient for the one that wants to back out of it.

Bob: Well now you're just painting me into a corner here. From what I've heard so far, Mike is willing to work with us. Is that correct, Mike?

Bob slowly glares from Dave back to me. He was retreating. And Mean Dave must have sensed that his work was done. He leans back in his chair and doesn't speak another word. This was my cue.

Mike: Yes, I really am. Is there ANY way we can maybe make this a win-win here? Maybe meeting in the middle somewhere? I'm just hoping you can do a little better than Dustin came back with.
Bob: [To Dustin]. This is the goddamn reason we don't quote payments. That's why we have processes – to keep shit like this from happening. This one is on you, Dustin.

[Dustin sulks in the corner like a scolded child. I can feel Dave glowing with satisfaction.]

Dustin: I know, sir. I'm sorry.
Bob: [Looking back at Mike]. I can do $_____ [$14/month higher than our original deal), that's it.

Mike: OK, it's a deal.

Bob: Dave, you happy?

Dave: [Smiling]. I'm happy if Mike's happy.

[Dave and Bob shake hands with a knowing smile, like they've done this a thousand times.]

And boy, did I have fun. Not only was I highly entertained, but it only cost me a cheeseburger and a Diet Coke. The moral of the story: Dave almost always gets what he wants. Or in this case, what I want. Thanks Dave, you can be my bad cop anytime!

1 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Didn't you mean "Mike", the author of the story?

The sentiment remains the same, I'm sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home