Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Eye Am Oppressed

I went to the eye doctor last week because my prescription expired. I hate having to do that. The optometry business is a racket. I feel like I'm being strong-armed into going to get care I don't need. I mean, as long as I can see, I feel like I should be able to refill them as often as I like. I can buy shoes without consulting a podiatrist, and can buy toothpaste without seeing the dentist. Hell, I can go to Walgreens and buy any number of reading and magnification glasses over the counter. So why do I need to see a doctor to get more contacts of the same prescription that already meets my needs? Grrr.

So after my exam, he tells me that I had previously been "overprescribed," and that he wanted to "dial back" my lens power by a factor of two degrees. This was Friday evening. Saturday, I learned the hard way (vis-a-vis upper level Cirque Du Soleil tickets) that I couldn't see 20 feet in front of me. Luckily for him, I think the blurry performance actually improved the experience.

So then yesterday, I leave the office early for the second time to return to his office to have him prescribe me the exact same lens prescription I had before. Like I said--RACKET. Now excuse me, I need to run to my otolaryngologist to get permission to scream at the top of my lungs. After that, I will go see my chiropractor so that I can be approved to properly extend my middle finger everytime I drive by the Fairway Eye Center. I wonder how long THAT prescription will last...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home