Thursday, March 23, 2006

Mom's Approved

Well, it's official, my Mom is now on a heart transplant list. The cardiac care board at Austin Heart Hospital reviewed and approved her case yesterday. I spent an hour on the phone with her last night convincing her that my sister and I will take care of everything when she gets her motor replaced.

I've now gone into obsessive planning mode. I'll need to buy open-ended plane tickets, make arrangements for someone to stay at the house on short notice, inform my boss of what's going to happen, figure out transportation and lodging options, etc. I want to be able to be in Austin within 12 hours of getting "the call." And I want to hit the ground running.

My plan is to find a furnished apartment in Austin so I can commute back and forth for a month or two during all the medical events. It'll be nice to have a home base in Austin instead of Marble Falls (where my parents live). They're about 45 miles apart. Not only will it be a nice place for my Dad to stay while he visits my Mom in the hospital every day, but it'll have some basic necessities I need to remain sane during an extended stay with the 'rents. Things like: decent restaurants, laundry service, recreational activities, gyms, gay people, nearby airports and copious amounts of alcohol.

1 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I'm so glad you finally got around to the final, and possibly most important, item.

It doesn't matter if you never use it, it only matters if it's there when you need it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home