Wednesday, April 12, 2006

God Bless This Sandwich

I was at Subway today and saw a man sit down, bow his head and pray for about 30 seconds before eating his meal. I'm really not sure why this particular event raised the hairs on the back of my neck, but it did. I don't like public displays of religion any more than I like public displays of affection. It's obnoxious and, in my opinion, just more subtle proselytizing for all of us need-to-be-saved heathens.

See, I'm not buying the fact that he was simply "
giving thanks to the Lord for the blessing for which he was about to receive." He could do that in his head while he was waiting in line. He could do that at the beginning or end of his day (assuming God takes pro- or retroactive prayer requests). To my knowledge, prayer only requires thought, not elaborate genuflection. That, in my opinion, is nothing but religious showmanship.

Next time I'm at that Subway, I'm going to practice some religion, too. I mean, I'm sure everyone would be just fine with that. Since, ya know, he assumed I was just fine with him practicing his in front of me. Maybe I'll bring in my Tibetan Prayer Wheel and give it a few spins before I chomp into my sandwich. Or perhaps I might do a little praying, singing, peyote eating and quiet contemplation first. Heck, I might even go a few rounds on my mala as I chant this at this top of my lungs:

असतो मा सद् गमय |
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ||
मृत्योर् मामृतं गमय् |
ॐ शांति शांति शांति ||

I'm ALL for practicing religion. In fact, I want that guy to (I strongly suspect he needs it). But don't be so presumptuous that I'm OK with you doing it in front of me. Keep it in your head, or your house, or your church. No one wants to see you acting out your belief system in public solely for an imaginary audience.

Now I need to go wash my hands. They've got dogma on them.

2 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger KipEsquire said...

Isn't there a New Testament passage where Jesus says that public prayer is meaningless and that those who want to pray properly must do so at home?

Where's Utah David when you need him?

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Mike said...

At least he didn't ask you to join him in prayer.

I can deal with the silent ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home