Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Sucking it Up

As much as it pains me to admit, I think I might be getting in a little over my head with the idea of installing a fence in my back yard on my own. I've been doing some research and it is getting more complex and time-consuming at every turn. Apparently, it's a little more complicated than sticking a few posts in the ground and screwing wood slats to them. Things like:

Property surveys
Permits
Inspections
Grade
Frost lines
Wood type
Screw type
Concrete type
Gate construction
Removal of existing fence
Removal of debris from property
Staining/Weather-proofing
Equipment rentals
Delivery coordination
And probably 20 more I haven't come across yet.

You know what? I don't think I want to deal with all of that. I'd like to narrow this down to two basic tasks:

1. Phone call
2. Check writing

I overhead a co-worker talking about his fence this morning and I pulled him aside to ask him who he's using and whether or not he'd recommend them. Turns out, it's his best friend's side business and he's looking for additional projects. I have a call into him to get an estimate. I'm excited.

2 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I said the same thing to TheHusband about trimming the trees. He said "I can do it", I said "Let's call someone".

I would soooooooo kill him if he fell out of a tree.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger David said...

Good move, but maybe go with a different company, or someone else's cousin's friend's brother.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home