Friday, May 12, 2006

Anonymously Dumped

Since I purchased my new Bluetooth wireless headset for my phone, I've had nothing but hang ups and miscommunication with my callers, both for work and socially. This has nothing to do with the earpiece, and everything to do with my complete inability to use it properly. Here's what happened this morning--a near disaster.

I was on a conference call at work at about 9:45 a.m. and my cell phone rang.
It was an 816 area code and I thought it was that of my new pal Jason (with whom I have a hot date plans on Saturday). Since I was on another call, I intended to hit "Ignore" to send him to voicemail. Instead, I hit "Answer." When I did, it automatically engaged the wireless headset, which was inconveniently in my backpack. So I scrambled--all while being completely silent so as to not disrupt my other call--to get to it in time to say hello.

Me: Hello... hello? Sorry, I'm having problems with my phone. Hang on a sec. [Puts earpiece on ear].
Caller: ...so I just need some time to think things through. I'll get back to you when I can. Sorry.

Me: Wait, wait. I'm sorry, I missed that. What were you saying?
Caller: [click].


So, thinking it was Jason, I put two and two together and thought I had just been dumped. Well, not dumped, but canceled on. I continued on my call for another 45 minutes thinking how much of a bummer it was. Jason is really nice and totally hot definitely my type. When the conference call was over, I was a little sad that we weren't going to meet again. So in my own little "why wouldn't you like ME??" fantasy world, I began to question whether or not I'd gotten the message right. So, I sucked it up and called to tell him the circumstances and get clarity on his message. Just in case. Thank God I did.

I called him and he answered on the first ring, whereby
I launched directly into a lengthy diatribe about how I missed what he was telling me due to my headset. Patiently, he waited and then said, "Um, Dave, I haven't called you this morning. It must've been the other guy you're talking to." Good lord. It wasn't even HIM. How embarrassing. After further investigation, the first three digits of his number is just one digit off from the mystery callers (and now programmed into my phone, btw). We're still on for Saturday (yay!).

But wait... I'm still not 100% sure who the hell called me, or what they were telling me. I don't recognize the number or the voice. Curious, I called the number back. Mystery-man/boy answers.

Caller: Hello?
Me: Hey, I got a call from you earlier on this number. May I ask who this is?

Caller: This is Jason.
Me: Um, Jason WHO? Do I know you?

Caller: {click].

Now how friggin' weird is THAT? I do know two other Jasons beyond the above-mentioned hot Jason. But I surely don't know them in they way that they might need some time to think about me. Or at least I hope not. Maybe I should call a private detective. Or maybe just publish his telephone number so that everyone can call him and ask why he's bugging me. I think I need some time to think about that. I'll get back to you.

2 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha thats hilarious. I hope you and jason work things out. with blogging like this you deserve a man in your life ! :P

p.s. im obsessed with your blogging

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Ah, technology. It's supposed to simplify your life and it only introduces more chaos.

Nice story, by the way. You write very well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home