Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Random Thoughts #23

--Tomorrow I'm doing one of my least favorite meetings for work. That is, the "6am flight to somewhere (this time Atlanta), a two hour presentation/discussion with clients, then a 7pm flight back home, arriving home at about 9pm" meeting. I'll pass the time with a newly-started book about Sir Isaac Newton. I love historical fiction.

--Yesterday on the way home from work I was listening to NPR and they had a spot on doctors joining a union. For whatever reason I was a little distracted and thought that the background noises in the spot (a union picket line--whistling, yelling, loud noises) was actually coming from behind me through a rolled-down window. I jumped--a lot. Then I just laughed at myself. But I still rolled up the window.

--I've been noticing a lot of commercials lately where companies tout "examples" of their excellent customer service. For example, the car insurance agent that drives a lady's proof of insurance to her when she gets pulled over, or the realtor that picks a single blade of yellow grass from the lawn before taking a picture of the house. I mean seriously. Next time you're pulled over, give your agent a call and see what he says. And these days, you're lucky to find a realtor that even HAS a camera.

--I got a nice little note from Jason last night, and we chatted briefly via Yahoo Messenger. He's a nice young lad. We've agreed to hang out sometime this week again, which pleases me.

--Words I am currently working into my day-to-day speech: bamboozle, molly bolt, odiferous, snarky, pronto, jury-rigged, haggard, snippety

--A few of my colleagues and I do this stupid thing where we call each other Dr. ____ when we pass each other in the hall. We do it in a very serious, terse tone: "Dr. Howard," I say. "Dr. Hill," he says. That's all we say. It's completely stupid, but we've been doing it for a couple of years now. For some reason, it still makes me giggle. I mean, it's not as fun as a Slip-n-Slide, but it passes the time.

--At lunch I'm heading to the pet store for some dog food and a new water bowl for Casey's crate. The other day after he took a shit on my custom made, one-of-a-kind living room rug, I dragged him upstairs and made him get in his house. After I slammed the door, I gave the cage a little love tap with my foot. When I did, I broke his little plastic water bowl and now I have to replace it. I'd feel bad about this, but honestly, it's better than kicking him. Tiny and unpredictable doses of Daddy's wrath is an effective tool in deterring poor habits.

--I just had a chat with a co-worker in the bathroom about a client. I HATE talking in the bathroom. It's a completely inappropriate place to discuss work. First, there's no telling who could be in one of the stalls listening in, and second, I prefer not to talk to my co-workers while holding my penis. It's just not right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home