Friday, May 19, 2006

The Things I Get Away With

Today is the day we're reviewing all of the individual components of our proposal for services and products to a state government. I've been serving as the primary architect of the whole project so I'm helping make decisions about how things will work, what we're charging, etc. I just had a conference call with our finance people and I made a funny joke that noone probably got, so I'm going to share it with each of you to appreciate subtle perversion in the workplace.

CFO: Well, we've got to figure out a way to load balance these costs so the costs get allocated to the right cost center.

VP: Well, we'll have to let the individual business units hash that out.

CFO: But this thing is due today. We need to make a decision. Dave, do you have any thought on how we should allocate this?

Me: Yeah, I'd be willing to consider whatever you propose.

CFO: How about we put a 25% load on the front end, and 75% load on the back end.

Me: I think that's perfectly reasonable. Since this is a team effort, I'm willing to take any load you give us.

And then I secretly wished there was another gay man in the room who looked at me knowingly so we could chuckle together. Oh well. Could someone please chuckle with me since I got to say I'd be willing to take a load in front of my Vice President? Where's my audience when I need one? :)

4 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Hee hee hee! That was a cute joke. Sadly, workplace stiffs have very little sense of humor. I remember a joke I told once...

Boss: Did you go to the annual stockholders meeting?

Me: Yes

Boss: What happened?

Me: I don't know, I was too drunk to take anything in.

::crickets::

I thought it was hilarious. But there was no one nearly as irreverent as I was in the room.

Alas.

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting....

:-/

 
At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heheheheh......

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Chris said...

thats too hilarious

 

Post a Comment

<< Home