Monday, June 12, 2006

Basso Profundo

Saturday evening I had the good fortune of attending the Heartland Men's Chorus at Kansas City's Folly Theater with my out-of-town guest Tyler and long-time pal Tobi. There's something about an all-male chorus that stirs me deeply. The timbre of 134 masculine voices is unique and powerful, and as a fellow gay man, I feel a kinship that stirs in me a sense of profound pride.

The concert was a collection of audience-selected songs from the group's 20 year history and took the audience on a roller-coaster of emotions from hysterical laughter to full-on tearshed. I laughed out loud in several places, tingled during a rousing ovation and caught myself crying on two different occasions. I truly enjoyed the evening. If you've never had the chance to take in a performance of your local gay men's chorus, I highly recommend it. This was probably my 15th concert of the type (mostly NYC Gay Men's Chorus and Turtle Creek Chorale) and I've never left disappointed.

Many, many thanks and congratulations on a fine performance to PWWO reader David, who is a member of the Chorus. David extended me an invitation and was kind enough to arrange for complimentary tickets--how could I refuse THAT? I even had the privilege of meeting him in person after the show. David--I truly enjoyed it and sincerely appreciated your generosity (as well as your regular readership)!

Now--the rest of you out there: I also enjoy movie premieres, film festivals, award shows (red carpet only, please) and am looking for a guest spot on Conan. Don't let David embarrass you by being the only one to shower me with gifts. Seriously. You should be ashamed of yourself.

3 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words, Dave. It was a privilege to sing for such an appreciative audience. Although it may sound trite, singing in a gay men's chorus has changed my life. It's great having a place to relate to other gay men outside of the bar scene (nothing against bars, I'm just sayin . . .)

Let me reciprocate by saying that Dave is even hotter in person than he appears on this blog. His killer smile, his barely-contained animal sexuality, his magnetic personality, well, I could just go on and on. But I won't.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Who ME? *blush*

(Check's in the mail).

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

False modesty is never attractive, Dave. Just own who you are (magnificent speciman of manhood) and move on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home