Friday, July 21, 2006

Eastchester Road (Part 1 of 2)

I met Owen in 1991 while co-teaching American Red Cross classes. He was 32 at the time, I was 20 and a senior in college. We began our friendship as going out buddies, frequently attending Westchester County's only gay bar (the name of which I have apparently repressed). Even though Owen was flamboyantly gay (which sometimes bothered me back then), I quickly embraced him not only as a friend, but as a mentor. He was extremely intelligent and cultured, and a fantastic teacher in both vocation as well as in life. I learned more from him than he'll ever know.

Owen regularly invited me over to his house where he rented a room from Rick. Rick, 36, was the owner of the house, a successful architect/general contractor and a longtime friend of Owen's. The house was on a corner at the top of a hill on Eastchester Road in New Rochelle, NY. It was large and furnished immaculately and had all the comforts of home.
Celebrations and libations abound. Nearly every week, one or both of them hosted a barbecue, dinner or a party of some kind. I was always invited, and generally always attended.

The idea for me to live there sprung up in fairly short order. Soon to be exiting school, without a job lined up to be able to afford a place of my own, I cheerfully accepted. I gave notice to Judy, bailed out of my tiny basement apartment and moved in to the house on Eastchester Road. The duo of Owen and Rick soon became a trio that included me. I felt so, adult. Grown up. And finally, openly gay. It was what I had wanted all my life.

I only wish it could have lasted.

(To be continued).


4 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Sounds cool!

Any pics of the house or either of them?

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Hi!?

No answer, no part 2!?

Come on!?

I was told you were hot and fun!?

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Spice said...

Decided to try blogging again after reading your work.

We'll see...

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I don't work on the weekends. And you shall get part 2 on Monday and like it.

;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home