Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Random Thoughts #30 - The Weekend

--I had a nice, relaxing visit with my parents this weekend. I arrived in Marble Falls, just outside of Austin, Saturday afternoon to a tupperware box full of chocolate chip cookies, which I reduced to crumbs in less than 48 hours. I also ate the majority of two medium pizzas and nearly three full cans of cinnamon rolls. I have no idea how my parents don't weigh 300 pounds.

--I don't know why I pack so many clothes when I go visit them. I didn't change my clothes from the time I walked in the door Saturday until I got ready for my meeting in Austin Monday morning. In fact, I'm not 100% sure I even brushed my teeth. Eww.

--I flew Southwest Airlines to get there, which I absolutely hate to do. I hate standing in line, and hate feeling like a 3rd-class citizen because I was too busy to get there four hours in advance, and I hate their crappy, dilapidated 1967 737-500s with no legroom and the fact that they pack their planes full and I have to sit next to someone in the middle seat. Bleh. On the bright side, Hertz didn't give me a PT Cruiser.

--As luck would have it, my Dad bought a 62" Mitsubishi HDTV, which is just one or two generations newer than my own 65" Mitsubishi HDTV. Without even having to look at the manual, I gave him first-class training on his remote, his connections, his screen formats and resolutions, etc. Obviously, I teased him for his 3-inch deficiency.

--I had a lay-over in Dallas for about 2.5 hours and my ex, Steven, picked me up so we could have lunch together. We ate at Ojeda's, one of Dallas' best family-owned Tex-Mex cooking joints. Delicious. It was really good to see him, as always. He promised he would come out one day and read the blog, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

--On Sunday night I watched the Astros from Houston challenge the Cardinals of St. Louis in a baseball contest (can you name the movie I'm referencing where a similar line was uttered?). As we watched the game, I scolded my parents for being the WORST possible fans I have ever heard. "Oh Lord, here we go again," "Oh great, now they're starting THAT crap, "I can't believe he'd make such a bonehead mistake," was all I heard for the first half of the game. To offset the negative karma, I countered with "Atta boy, ____, you'll do better next time," "Shake it off, shake it off--he can't phase us," and "Good hustle, good hustle." Eh, it was the least I could do for those poor, crappy Astros.

--Austin is a nice town. If I were to move--which, honestly, I am considering for a variety of reasons--it would be there. It sure was HOT, though. Damn. But since I'm a native Texan, I know that's just par for the course.


4 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Blogger stasia said...

Then you know the trick- to NEVER go outside. :)

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish there was a way to edit comments once you post them...

Anyway, as I was saying before I deleted myself, it sounds like you were quoting "Coming to America", possibly my favorite Eddie Murphy vehicle.

Glad you had fun in Austin and ate yourself silly. That's what parents are for, after all.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Dave said...

And we have a winner! "Coming to America" is correct! Yay for cib!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home