Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Pearls Fall From My Lips

For the life of me, I don't understand why people feel the need to be randomly obnoxious. Exhibit A: Nasty comments left on your blog or YouTube videos. This morning a complete stranger left a comment on one of my videos (the bedroom chat) about being pretentious and pearls falling out of my mouth, etc. etc. Absolutely nothing nice to say. Completely random insults.

Why do people DO that? Do they think I'll reconsider my lifestyle or try to change my behaviors? I hope not. Do they think other people will agree with them and rally together in a nation-wide PlaysWellWithOthers boycott? I hope not. Do they think I'll do anything other than just delete it? I hope not.

In my opinion, spewing nastiness has nothing to do with the victim of said nastiness and everything to do with the spewer. There's not a person on this planet that someone can't find fault in or ridicule. Humans are easy targets because, well, we're human. And frankly, being nasty is just too easy. Mastering ridicule is elementary school; it's a step above nanny-nanny-boo-boo in my book. It pangs of the desperate and painfully insecure Nelson Muntz--the bully in the Simpson's cartoon. "HA-HA."

It's harder to be nice and to see the good in others; to unite us rather than to divide. Mastering kindness and fostering unity is graduate level. Obviously, not everyone is intellectually or emotionally capable of this, and that's perfectly fine. However, if you don't think this is something you can do, then you should do us all a favor and stick your nastiness directly up your ass where none of has to see it, hear it or smell it.

Thanks for listening.

2 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger KipEsquire said...

Once when I had first started blogging, some yob took the time to compose a two-page email of nothing but brain-dead insults. "Your dog is ugly." "Your web layout is pathetic." "So you went to law school, big deal." Etc.

My only reaction was befuddlement. If you really wanted to hurt someone's feelings, then why not do it in a more effective manner -- steal a baby's candy or throw a rock through an old man's window or something.

The anonymity is a big part of it, I think. I am convinced that most people lead lives of quiet antipathy toward the world and everyone in it. (Except for the Evangelical Christians, who are not so quiet about it.) And every so often they need to vent.

And what better (i.e., safer) way to vent than to leave an anonymous comment on some f*ggot's blog from hundreds of miles away?

P.S. It still looks like a dentist's chair. ;-)

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Random nastiness is the downside of the internet since it allows people to hurl rocks in the dark with the belief there will no consequences. Being positive, or at least constructive in criticism, takes far more work.

Maybe it’s just a sign that the kids have had a boring summer and are anxious to get back to school where they can spend their hours determining who does and doesn’t have cooties.

You're a lot braver than they are to post your thoughts honestly and without apology. Maybe it will eventually result in uniting folks with similar attitudes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home