Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Houseboy needed ASAP

So according to ortho guy #2, I've got a hairline fracture in my talus bone. And just my luck, the talus apparently has a really poor blood supply, which makes self-repair uncertain. My options for treatment include a cast and crutches for three months with no surgery (recovery still uncertain), or surgery to install a titanium screw followed by a cast and crutches for three months while it heals.

Geez, Louise. This sucks.

It's not so much the surgery, but the inconvenience of crutches for THREE MONTHS. How the hell am I going to live for three months on crutches?? How will I mow my lawn? Walk my dog? Go to the grocery store? DRIVE (it's my right foot)? I'll be completely and totally incapacitated if I have to be on crutches for that long. I won't ask friends or family to help me for that long, and hiring someone is out of the question. What the hell do single people do in these situations, I wonder?

I'm feeling pretty mortal (and
vulnerable) right this second. And that's not a good thing at all. I considered going out and buying myself a new motorcycle to help ease the pain; however, I should probably get one of these instead. There's a reason they call it "lame," I guess...

8 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger KipEsquire said...

Man, what a bummer. Poor Casey.

(Oh, yeah, poor you also.)

Maybe Utah David can come over and nurse you back to health.

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go for the easy screw.

I mean, the surgery. You will thank you in your old age. Next year.

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

You're screwed either way.

Ha! Get it? Screwed ... because of the screw in your foot ... or because you won't be able to ...



... oh fuck it, nevermind.

:)

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll learn to appreciate things you've been taking for granted before? Oh and as far as driving, you'll learn to do it with your left foot quickly. I'm sure you'll be just fine and will have plenty of quality time doing creative projects around the house.

Besides you'll be getting all the attention at the grocery store, cute boys will be following you to your car, isn't that what you want
anyway?

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God! Who knew such a small bone could cause so much trouble? Forgive me if this is a redundant question, but how did this happen in the first place? I seem to have forgotten when you first posted about this.

As a single guy myself, I often wonder what to do when the need to call on people arises.

I wish you the best with this.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Justin24601 said...

vulnerable, too, I bet!

he he

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Damn spell checker. Thanks, Justin.

 
At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mate, weird shit.... my names dave, i had a motorbike accedent and fractured my talus too ;P . yeah the 3 months is hard... i had 3 titanium screws and was in a wheelchair for 3 weeks first to get the swelling down, i have to have a further operation because they put the screws in too far and its hitting my heel bone and causing more swelling. i had a limp for 2 months after my cast came off but walking was good after that... running however still hurts and every morning my ankle feels stiff. im seeing a doctor in victoria, australia that says he can get me sprinting again (track and field) which is what i pretty much do for a living. in the mean time im just studying and watching as many dvd's as i can!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home