Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Shady Dealings

I've been having some roof drainage problems lately, so about three weeks ago, I called four local companies to have them come out and inspect my gutters. Of the four I contacted, only ONE called me back. Of course, he only left a voice mail, and he never returned my follow up call. Eventually I just gave up.

But today, my doorbell rang. It was "Ratcliff Guttering Company," and he was here to inspect my gutters. Completely out of the blue. No telephone call, no advance warning, he just showed up based on the message I apparently left him--three weeks ago. I asked him if we had exchanged messages (sometimes I forget), but he said, "No, your name and address just showed up on my list of people to go see." I shrugged and listened to his spiel.

He proceeded to tell me that my gutters look fine and just need a good cleaning. He asked if it would be OK if he walked around the back to check the rest of them out; I agreed. He told me he'd be right back with a "quick proposal" for me to review, so I headed back upstairs to work while he looked around. After about 10 minutes I began to wonder what was taking him so long, so I stuck my head out the door. No gutter guy. He left. No proposal, no nothing.

I am always amazed at how unprofessional independent contractors can be. I wonder sometimes how they even stay in business. At any rate, my friggin gutters still need cleaning, especially the ones on the second floor that I can't reach with my ladder. Anyone have a extra tall ladder handy that wants to make a quick buck??? Call me (just don't wait three weeks)!

2 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your house doesn't need extra tall ladder. How much are you paying?

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait until you have to deal with foundation repair guys. They're the worst. I speak from extensive and sad experience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home