Thursday, November 09, 2006

Peace, Jess

As I watched the news this morning, I learned that last night about 3am, a young man I've known for almost three years was killed in a car accident. He apparently lost control of his car while merging onto I-35 near downtown KC. Reports say that he was wearing his seatbelt, but that the crash was so severe, the seatbelt failed and ejected him from the vehicle. I can only hope there was no pain.

I met Jesse at an after-hours party. He was quite the wild child, usually fairly tipsy with a cigarette in one hand and a cute boy in the other. I'm not sure I ever saw him at a bar where his shirt didn't come off at least once in the course of dancing the night away. On more than one occasion I'd fall victim to his playful sneak-attack kiss, where he'd sneak up on me, grab my head and plant one on me. Blond, cute with an enchanting smile, I never fought back. Now, I'm so glad I didn't.

This news has left an awful sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, almost to the point of nausea. I've made some calls to arrange for flowers to be sent to his family, and if they have a service open to friends, I will absolutely go to pay my respects. I suppose it's the least I could do. I can only imagine his family's grief.

21 years old. Gone.
I'm going to go cry now.

6 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger The Persian said...

Oh Dave I am so sorry.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Wow. That's a hell of a shock to hear, I'm sure. I'm really sorry.

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are my favorite types of friends. I feel you pain. And I'm sorry to hear it.

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger David said...

XO

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

That's horrible news. And to hear it from a news report rather than a friend has to make it even tougher.

My thoughts are with you.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad we went together and I know I couldn't have handled it alone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home