Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Random Thoughts #46

--Since it started getting icy this week, I sucked it up and got a temporary permit to park in handicap parking spots. The process in Kansas is to get a form filled out by a doctor, then go down to the DMV to obtain the permit. For the life of me, I can't understand why they make someone who is physically disabled make a special trip to the DMV. Is a doctor's signed attestation not sufficient? Is handicap parking fraud a huge problem in Kansas? That's a stupid law.

--This new cast of mine really sucks. The last one never made me itch, never made my ankle hurt, and was generally pretty benign save the inconvenience. This one, not so much.

--One of my biggest pet peeves when chatting online with someone is when they disappear in the middle of a conversation. I think there should be a unspoken rule that if you're not going to respond within a minute or two, you should tell the other person out of courtesy. "brb" doesn't exactly take a long time to type. To me, it's the online equivalent of walking out of room in the middle of having a conversation with someone. It's just rude.

--My friend Matt (yes, that Matt) called me recently to ask my advice on how to handle a co-worker that called him a "redneck faggot" while at work. I gave him three options: 1) Do nothing; 2) Wait a couple of days and address the issue with her face-to-face; 3) Contact HR and file a hostile workplace complaint. Obviously, each one of these options should be immediately followed by a sharp puncture wound to each one of her tires. But that goes without saying, right?

--I want to replace the corner desk I have in my upstairs study due to lack of work space. But for the life of me, I can't seem to find a decent L-shaped desk that fits this rather awkward corner. In the meantime, I have about 100 square feet of crap sitting atop a 20 square foot desktop and it's driving me nuts. I welcome any suggestions beyond the standard retailers...

--A friend of mine is trying to get me to use Bittorrent to find movies completely legal versions of shareware programs available on the internet. I got it all set up, found two torrents to DL, but after 12 hours, neither had completely downloaded. Using my standard method (newsgroups) in comparison, I DL'd three full-length videos in less than an hour. Either I'm doing something wrong or Bittorrent sucks.

4 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

If by "tires" you mean "neck" ... then yes, I agree with all three of your suggestions to Matt.

For a desk, get two old doors and plexi or glass to place over them, then secure them in an L shape and build some sort of support structure. (I saw that on some show once and it looked pretty cool).

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

L shapd desk ... IKEA, they have online catalog and they can ship it.

Itching ... your previous cast itched too : "I can't sleep. I can barely make it up and down the stairs. It itches. It hurts. It's swollen. I don't want to bathe, or shave, or eat, or do anything. I hate this. I REALLY hate this. This makes the Invisalign pain seem like a cake walk." What doesn't kill us only making us stronger.

Kansas DMV ... have you tried to get handicap permit in any other state? Ever dealt with Missouri DMV?

"redneck faggot" ... that was hillareous.

 
At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you hate it when people take your words and throw them in your face?

I real friend would never do that. Er... on you own blog, anyway.

 
At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

potterybarn.com has a great corner/l shaped desk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home