Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Courtesy Court

I was raised in a family where it was considered a mortal sin to eat/drink the last of anything. One never ate the last cookie, or drank the last drop of milk or polished off the ice cream without first seeking approval from someone else in the house. As soon as someone absolved you of the crime of selfishness, you were free to finish it off. Otherwise, you left it there. I can't even imagine how many items spoiled in our refrigerator simply because we were all trying to be overly polite.

This courses through my veins even today. I still get a tad bit offended when I find something missing out of the cabinet without my knowledge, or if I've not acquiesced to its consumption. Obviously, I would never object if I was asked; but my upbringing still seeks to adjudicate the perishables in the court of courtesy. On the flip side, I always ask Tim if I can have the last of something--even if I bought it. It just seems polite. God forbid his craving for the last yogurt exceed that of mine. How could I BE so selfish??

Obviously, Tim has become attuned to this rather absurd habit of mine. This morning I found the following note scrawled on the bag of bagels in which only one plain bagel was left. Tim is clearly an enabler.

7 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Mike said...

You mother raised you right.

And good on him for picking up on that.

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh I love those sweet stories. Keep 'em coming :-)

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger LSL said...

New reader here. This is so sweet, I live for this kind of stuff.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

I also was raised like that. Good for you ... and Tim.

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww! So cute!

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know she ate 11 bagels before she left that note! Oh and im sure it got a good lickin too!

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Michael Guy said...

Are you ab-so-lutely certain there's a bagel in that bag? Why am I reminded of "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?" the scene where Joan Crawford lifts that silver-domed plate cover?!

"..By the way...we got rats in the cellar, Blanche."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home