Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Everyone's Got a Soapbox These Days

Tonight, I stumbled upon this from an otherwise hilarious blogger I previously held in high esteem. I just couldn't resist offering my unsolicited criticism:

"Your motivation to educate those that don't necessarily need an education about how HIV affects you comes across as grandstanding. And I couldn't help but cringe at your characterization of the disease through a single study with [unqualified] statistics.

Your story is poorly researched, riddled with unnecessarily dramatic metaphors, and completely mischaracterizes the current state of HIV disease management. Your intellectual laziness and tendency for the dramatic has done a disservice to everyone that reads it.

If you'd really like to educate others about HIV disease (or at least enough to speak intelligently about it), I recommend getting to know as many affected/infected individuals as you can. HIV is all around you (probably much more than you know), and if you took the time to embrace it (rather than avoiding "that area of the bar"), I think you'd find things to be much more optimistic than how you've characterized it above.

Otherwise, you're just perpetuating the doom and gloom that shames this disease into the back of our community's consciousness. And I bet even a misinformed bystander can appreciate how that might foster the continued spread of the disease.

Shame on you."
Just had to get that off my chest. Carry on.

3 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Blogger Mike said...

While I agree with what you've said here, it will make no difference. The comment came about a month AFTER his post, so I doubt he will respond. And shame on me for not making your point then, since I read his blog daily. I must have missed that day.

Kip's response to YOUR response is unfortunate. And I normally think he is a smart guyl.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I realize it was late, and almost didn't bother; but for anyone Googling the subject and finding it, it might help equalize the perspective.

And it's odd that you can see Kip's comment. I purposefully rejected it due to its harshness. Hmm.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Mike said...

No Dave - His comment is over there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home