Monday, June 25, 2007

Listening Skills

Subway Employee: "Hi, welcome to Subway. What can I get you today?"
Me: "I'll have a 6-inch Chicken Terryaki on Wheat with no cheese, please. Toasted."
Employee: "Coming right up!" [Puts on gloves, opens up the oven]. "What kind of bread did you say?"
Me: "Wheat."
Employee: "Gotcha! [Places bread on counter]. Six-inch or foot long?"
Me: "Six-inch."
Employee: "Oh that's right, you said that already. And it was Chicken breast, right?"
Me: "No, chicken terryaki."
Employee: "No prob. And what kind of cheese would you like?"
Me: "Umm, no cheese."
Employee: "Toasted?"
Me: [Glares]. "Yes."

Is it me, or do the Subway people do this on purpose? I've been doing a little informal poll lately, and not ONE has been able to get through my simple order without asking me to repeat at least one item. In contrast, how the hell do the waiters/waitresses at nicer restaurants take orders for eight people without a pen and paper and never seem to get it wrong? Clearly a skill set Subway doesn't teach.

4 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger TheBuxStopHere said...

I agree 110%! I went there today and the exact thing happened to me. Only I also got the "Did you say that was a combo?"-twice too.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger David said...

Oh, come on, Dave, since when did you ever order a six incher?

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger WD in KC said...

It's because the waitfolk at nicer restaurants are youngish college graduates cursing their decision to major in English.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

It's not just Subway. During my road trip over the past week and a half, at each hotel/motel I opened with "I'd like a single non-smoking room for one night." Each desk clerk then asked "How many nights will you be staying? Smoking or non-smoking? How many in your party?"

By the last couple of nights, I just opened with "I need a room." I think their brains can only process one simple concept at a time. Or maybe they get a thrill from posing questions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home